Week 2: The adventure begins in Heber City, UT

After Laramie, we headed west. The seven days from June 4 to June 11 we experienced everything from a yummy supper-club style meal, a new adults-only wing of an RV resort, to a few firsts: Harvest Host, adding a washer and dryer to our rig and calling our first “audible” — because a campground we had reserved just did not fit our rig. It was a bit of a roller coaster!

Traveling from Laramie, WY to Heber City, UT

Dinner at the Log Inn supperclub along I-80 in Rock Springs, WY

Our first night, we stayed at a KOA in Rock Springs for one night. I did two quick loads of laundry in their laundromat and we headed out for a great supper club dinner at the Log Inn right on I-80.

After a quick workout the next morning, we set our sites on Evanston, WY, where we had arranged to spend the night at a Harvest Hosts location: a bowling alley called Uinta Lanes. As with all Harvest Hosts, you pay an annual fee to stay at any of their locations. Most of the sites tend to be wineries, but there are museums, breweries, farms and …well…bowling alleys. They just ask that you spend a little money there. In this case, we went inside and had some cocktails and dinner. The hosts were delightful and we ended up talking with the owner of the place for about two hours. We would totally stay there again! On Sunday we hit the road and went to Utah.

Camping in Heber City

This photo of our camper is the only photo I could take because I was stressed out at Wasatch Mountain State Park Campground

Heber City is located less than 100 miles from Evanston, so the drive wasn’t too far. The rolling hills and curves on I-80 made me a bit anxious, however (even though we have a Ford F-350 dually truck — nicknamed Big Teresa — that can handle the road and the load of our camper).

We were scheduled to stay at Wasatch Mountain State Park Campground and our campsite (despite doing our due diligence to pick a spot that would fit our rig) was definitely not for our big rig. So we went back the office and they recommended another space that was 55 feet long, but you had to back in. Great! We thought. Our rig is 42 feet so this should work just fine. What we didn’t know until we got to the site is that the turn to back in is VERY tight for a rig our size with big boulders where you need the truck to be!

My husband did everything he could to get the rig in — and he did it (even going over a small boulder to make it happen). It took about 30 minutes with the help of a very friendly camp host, we got trailer — Big Bertha — into the site. What we didn’t notice at first was that there was about a six-foot drop from the front to the back of the site. In order to get level, we had to extend the front jacks fully, with the Andersen Blocks, and pieces of 4×4 — and even then it was just barely level. This was so stressful for me, I was in tears (I told you — only brutal honesty here). I was not comfortable with the situation at all. After all, this is our HOME! Not just a pop-up camper you only use a few times a summer and tolerate for a weekend.

Here’s where we ended up at Mountain Valley RV Resort, Heber City. 80 ft. x 40 ft. concrete pads.

While Joel went back to the office to ask for another spot, I checked in at other parks nearby. I was able to land us a spot at Mountain Valley RV Resort. So we “called the audible” and made the change. We did get most of a refund from the state park too! The people at the state park were really nice and helpful.

The new campground worked quite well for us. We worked from the there every day and ventured out a few times for dinner and drinks, and one of the restaurants was amazing! Joel also found the time to install a washer and dryer in our camper, which has made our lives much easier. The week was hot and very windy, but good. By Friday, we left for our next destination, the Oregon Coast.